Security in WordPress is taken very seriously, but as with any other system there are potential security issues that may arise if some basic security precautions aren’t taken. This article will go through some common forms of vulnerabilities, and the things you can do to help keep your WordPress installation secure.
Fundamentally, security is not about perfectly secure systems. Such a thing might well be impractical, or impossible to find and/or maintain. What security is though is risk reduction, not risk elimination. It’s about employing all the appropriate controls available to you, within reason, that allow you to improve your overall posture reducing the odds of making yourself a target, subsequently getting hacked.Top 10 Security Plugins for WordPress to Keep Your Blog SafeClick To Tweet
Best WordPress Security Plugins
Let’s cover the Top 10 Best Security Plugins for WordPress 2018 for you.
Better WP Security is the most easiest, and most effective WordPress plugin which monitors your WordPress blog security. It takes care of your WordPress blog. Better WP Security made it easy to secure your WP blog on one-click action. As attacks on WP blogs have been increased for several reasons behind, but the reason is not the hackers but it’s the recklessness of us cuz we don’t care about the sensitive information of our WP blog.
- Two-Factor Authentication
- WordPress Salts & Security Keys
- Malware Scan Scheduling
- Password Security
- Password Expiration
- Google reCAPTCHA
- Import/Export Settings
Price: Free with premium version starting at $297
BulletProof Security Security plugin secures your .htaccess and other files in your WordPress site. WordPress Website Security Protection: Firewall Security, Login Security, Database Security, Effective, Reliable, Easy to use..
- One-Click Setup Wizard
- MScan Malware Scanner
- .htaccess Website Security Protection (Firewalls)
- Login Security & Monitoring
- Auth Cookie Expiration (ACE)
- Security Logging
- HTTP Error Logging
- Pro version and support available – BulletProof Security Pro
Price: Free with premium version starting at $69.95
Acunetix WP Security is a free and comprehensive security tool that helps you secure your WordPress installation and suggests corrective measures for: securing file permissions, security of the database, version hiding, admin protection and lots more.
- MultiSite ready
- Easy backup of WordPress database
- Removal of wp-version, except in admin-area
- Removal of Really Simple Discovery meta tag
- Removal of core update information for non-admins
- Removal of plugin-update information for non-admins
- Disabling of database error reporting (if enabled)
VaultPress is a real-time backup and security scanning service designed and built by Automattic, the same company that operates (and backs up!) millions of sites on WordPress.com.
- Monitor VaultPress activity in realtime
- VaultPress scans your site for potentially dangerous files
- Restore backups automatically
- Download any backup
- Pro version and support available – VaultPress Pro
Price: Starting $3.50 monthly or just $39 per year
Wordfence is 100% free and open-source security software supported by a large team dedicated exclusively to WordPress security. A deep set of features makes Wordfence the most comprehensive WordPress security:
- Firewall blocks complex and brute force attacks
- Security Scan alerts you quickly in the event of a security issue
- Threat Defense Feed keeps Wordfence up to date with the latest security data
- Robust login security features
- Configurable security alerts
- Gain insight into traffic and hack attempts
- Security incident recovery tools
All In One WP Security & Firewall is all about building a firewall to block out spammers and users who are trying to take advantage of your database and files. It’s one of the simplest options you can choose from, so we often recommend it to people who are not going to be comfortable with tons of features in the dashboard.
- Tools for detected weak passwords and usernames
- Fights off brute force attacks
- It gives you a list of users who have been blocked from your site
- Allows you to add a captcha to the login system
- Manual approval of user accounts is possible
- Schedule automatic backups and email notifications when these occur
#7. Sucuri Security
Sucuri Security is free to all WordPress users. It is a security suite meant to complement your existing security posture. It offers its users a set of security features for their website, each designed to have a positive affect on their security posture:
- Security Activity Auditing
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
- Website Firewall (premium)
Price: Free with premium version starting at $16.66/month
Brute Force Login Protection is a lightweight plugin that protects your website against brute force login attacks using .htaccess. After a specified limit of login attempts within a specified time, the IP address of the hacker will be blocked.
- Limit the number of allowed login attempts using normal login form
- Limit the number of allowed login attempts using Auth Cookies
- Manually block/unblock IP addresses
- Manually whitelist trusted IP addresses
- Delay execution after a failed login attempt (to slow down brute force attack)
- Option to inform user about remaining attempts on login page
- Option to email administrator when an IP has been blocked
- Custom message to show to blocked users
#9. Login LockDown
Login LockDown records the IP address and timestamp of every failed login attempt. If more than a certain number of attempts are detected within a short period of time from the same IP range, then the login function is disabled for all requests from that range. This helps to prevent brute force password discovery.
- Easy to Use
- Lockdown IP address of every failed login attempt
- Prevent brute force password discovery
- One hour lock out of an IP block after 3 failed login attempts within 5 minutes
#10. Limit Login Attempts
Limit Login Attempts blocks an Internet address from making further attempts after a specified limit on retries is reached, making a brute-force attack difficult or impossible. Limit the number of login attempts possible both through normal login as well as using auth cookies.
By default WordPress allows unlimited login attempts either through the login page or by sending special cookies. This allows passwords (or hashes) to be brute-force cracked with relative ease.
- Limit the number of retry attempts when logging in (for each IP). Fully customizable
- Limit the number of attempts to log in using auth cookies in same way
- Informs user about remaining retries or lockout time on login page
- Optional logging, optional email notification
- Handles server behind reverse proxy
- It is possible to whitelist IPs using a filter. But you probably shouldn’t.
We hope this article helped you find the right security plugin for your site. There are a lot to choose from, but what plugins you use on your website depends on what you need.
But on the other hand, if you are a pro and are looking for an all-in-one plugin, you can go with Better WP Security or BulletProof Security. These two plugins are the most popular and offer the most functionality.
Have a question, suggestion or feedback?
Let use know in the comments section.
Do you use any other plugins to easily secure website? Feel free to list them in the comment section below.